Posted on April 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM
I've wanted to let you know about all the improvements that we're making at the cottage, but I didn't want to bore you in the process. Let's just say that the song by The Fixx kept popping into my head - even though, admittedly, it has nothing to do with spring cleaning and construction projects - because one thing certainly led to another.
- It started with a salvaged french door panel that became a window, which, of course, required painting.
- The window looked so good, that the front of the cottage deserved a fresh coat of paint,
- and the front of the cottage looked so good that the front door deserved a fresh coat of paint, too.
- You can't paint the door without painting the trim, and you can't trim one door without trimming the other.
- And what good is a construction project if you don't landscape around it?
A major change to the exterior resulted in a major change to the interior as well.
- The new window is now the focal point, so the entire living area has shifted to the opposite side of the room.
- The bookshelves have been reconstructed and repainted a bright shade of white,
- and the old television has been replaced with a new flat screen. (Anybody need an old television?)
- The area behind the front door features a coat rack constructed of reclaimed (from the woods) mountain laurel that is framed in pieces of a reclaimed (from an old college dorm) heart pine door.
- And finally (maybe), a few more pieces of angle iron have been added as baseboards, which probably doesn't make them base"boards" at all - but that's boring in comparison anyway.
We'll post some new pictures as soon as we catch our breath. In the meantime, you should make plans to come and see it for yourself. And if you want that old television, be sure to leave room for it when you're packing.